Monday, November 16, 2009

Taken out of context.

I just finished reading the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I picked it up at the used bookstore in Campbell. The person who had it before me underlined one sentence in the book: I collected men with interesting names. I wonder what it was about that sentence that made her pick up a pen and underline it in blue. Maybe she aspired to collect men with interesting names. Maybe she thought that was an important theme for the book. It was only on page 51, so maybe she thought she was going to find other gems in the following 193 pages. But that was the only thing that was underlined in the whole book, so she either didn't finish it or she didn't find anything else that resonated with her. I assume it was a she, though I suppose it could have been a he. A he with a burning desire to collect men with interesting names.

No comments:

Followers