Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The long and winding road

While reading a post on E's blog about his trip to Ventura, I started thinking back on all the various trips to LA I've been on. There was a time in my life when I knew that at any moment a friend could call me and say "We're going to LA, get ready". Fun, fun, fun. But as you all may know, there is a strange time warp on highway 5. I've never quite understood how it can take 5 hours to drive to LA, yet take 12 hours to get home. On the way down, everyone is happy, talking, laughing, listening to music, quite possible drinking already. Then all of the sudden you're there. On the way home, everyone is hung over and exhausted, staring out the window in a stupor, not paying any attention to the radio so that soon you're listening to either static or a mexican station. That's when I started the tradition of saying "I wish we had a teleporter". My attention span is so short, that if I can't amuse myself with my thoughts, I run the risk of getting tossed out of the car with my incessant "are we there yet?'s". Like a child, I am. So I would stare out the window, and every once in a while I'd ask a question like "Do you think cow's have friends?" or "If you addressed a letter to The City of Angels do you think it would still get there?". The added benefit was that I not only amused myself, but my fellow passengers as well. I should probably write my memories down, because who knows how long I will actually retain them? I would hate to forget the broken cooler incident or the Ren and Stimpy marathon, and I've already lost entire sections (and entire people) of the weekend in San Luis. These days, the random trips down south are few and far between. I suppose you could say we..gulp...grew up. But if someone were to call me this Friday afternoon, and say those words, I just might...ok, we know I probably wouldn't go. Nice thought though.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers