Friday, September 09, 2005

Hey baby, que paso?

I am a very bad Mexican. I can admit that. I don't speak Spanish, I don't like spicy food, I have never picked a single head of lettuce. I can tan well, I have that. Then there's the cutting thing, but I would swear that's the angry white girl in me coming out. The only thing that saves me is being able to cook the food. This is my one Mexican quality. One thing I have yet to master though is making round tortillas. Does anyone have a secret to making tortillas and having them actually turn out round? I cannot for the life of me make that happen. You want heart shaped ones? I can do that. You feel like eating a tortilla shaped like Texas, that I can handle. The Sears Tower? The Taj Mahal? California? Your foot? These are all shapes that will grace my placa. Round tortillas continue to elude me. It can be fun though, figuring out what they look like. It's like staring at the clouds and finding things. "This one looks like a dinosaur!" "Hey, mine looks like Jesus!" I like to think of them as my own little Rorschach tests. What do you see in this tortilla? So if you come over to my house for dinner, be careful. I may not only be feeding you. I may be delving into the deepest recesses of your psyche.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers