Tuesday, December 13, 2005

O, Tannenbaum

I put more lights than ever before on my tree this year. Guess what that means? More opportunities for me to obsess over the exact placement of each bulb! Yay me. On Sunday I put the lights on, rearranged them, took half down, put them back up in a different arrangement, added another strand, it was crazy. By the time I got to the bottom of the tree I realized I was gritting my teeth like a tweaker working the graveyard shift at Walgreens trying to hold it together until six when I can finally go home and organize my closet with the new plastic bins I got with my employee discount. It took so much out of me I had to put off the actual decorating until today. It's hard work decorating a tree with a four year old. Do you know how difficult it is to move ornaments that were unacceptably hung without getting caught? It's rough, I tell you. I tried to tell him the rules: no hanging ornaments from the lights, make sure the ornament isn't touching the branch below it, do not, under any circumstances, hang two red bulbs next to each other. Is it my fault that the kid has the attention span of well...a four year old? At least he got over his idea that all frog ornaments have to hang on one branch. That was a mess. Finally, after many, many switches and changes and rearrangements, the tree was finished. Caden put the star on, we plugged it in and turned it on and voila! My star didn't work. I was so bummed. Wait, I still AM bummed. I bought that star when I was 19 living in Sacramento. I love that star. Now I have to buy a new one and Caden has some bizarre idea that we need one with orange lights in it. I don't have the heart to tell him no, so I may be a little twitchy this Christmas season.
Fa-la-la.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers