Thursday, October 28, 2004

Lennon/McCartney

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free.

Blackbird fly blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird fly blackbird fly
Into the light of the dark black night.

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise
You were only waiting for this moment to arise.

This song has always meant a lot to me. My 9th grade english teacher played it for us, along with Piggies and Julia, when we read Animal Farm. I could see why she played Piggies, as the song is pretty much the book set to music. I think she just played the other Beatles songs because she wanted to hear them. And didn't want to hear us. Plus, I heard she had a nervous breakdown the year after I graduated from high school. I don't think it had anything to do with me though. Anyway, I hope you all read these lyrics and take something from them. I do, every time I listen to this song.

6 comments:

Yankeebob said...

I have a fair collection of Beatles tunes, but I don't remember this song. It's got the lyrical feel of a blues tune. I'll have to look and see if I do have it. I'd like to hear it.

Hey CL! Are you trying to change my attitude toward the Beatles? Sneaky girl!

And I don't know you for real, but that thing about the nervous breakdown, are you sure?

Cindy-Lou said...

Pheobe is a wild soul, D. You can't cage her.
Yankee Bob, yes I'm being sneaky. You will love the Beatles, soon, my friend. Soon. (and yeah, she had a nervous breakdown, really)

grace said...

i'm probably going to get crucified for this, but i've never been a big fan of the beatles.

i couldn't figure out why they were so big. steve tells me that they were the equivalent of being like the backstreet boys to radiohead. whatever.

i don't know, CL, i think if you were in my 9th grade class, i'd have a nervous breakdown, as well :P

SJ said...

Cindy broke her teacher's brain! Now why doesn't that surprise me?

cat said...

That is so one of my favourite songs. The first time I heard it my cousin played it on guitar for me when I was in 8th or 9th grade. I fell in love with the song. In my teenage depressive state it just spoke volumes to me.

Then Sarah McLachlan covered it. That made me happy too. I'm glad you like that song. I knew there was a connection there! :)

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Good lord, that song should be the theme song for my life right now!!

Blog Archive

Followers