Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Warning: This post contains scenes so graphic and Un-PC in nature, parental supervision is suggested.

American Blogger posted about the Fugees song Killing Me Softly. I have strong feelings about that song. I've been disturbed, I've seen things...oh yes. Things that would make strong men shriek in the night. Nightmares that will always have Killing Me Softly on the soundtrack. To fully explain, I will take you back to 1997, Venice Beach, California. There we were, minding our own business, shopping, taking in the sights, doing whatever it is people do in Venice Beach. Suddenly I could hear that song, soft at first, but gradually growing louder as we got closer to the source. We came upon a man, tapping a tambourine to the beat of Killing Me Softly. Innocent enough, I suppose. Until there was a break in the crowd, and I could see what everyone was standing around watching. There, on the sidewalk, was a man. A man with no legs, one arm, and one nub. He was dancing. Dancing to that song, that damn song. Rolling around on the ground, waving his one arm, sexy like. Biting on his nub with a come-hither look on his face. Dancing like he was dancing on a stage with a pole. Now, you may be thinking I'm mean, that the poor guy had a quarter of the limbs I currently have and I shouldn't have such thoughts, but man, you didn't see it. It was the nub in the mouth, that was the clincher. The nub in the mouth. Did you ever in your life think you would have the occasion to use a sentence like that? I didn't. To this day, if Shelby or Jill wants to make me cringe, they sing that song. They think it's funny. Oh yeah, fucking hilarious. Am I cold hearted? Probably. But I challenge you to witness something that disturbing, and not carry the burden of that memory for the remainder of your life. Killing me softly. Yeah, it's killing me softly, all right.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers