Sunday, January 23, 2005

But where did it all come from?

I want to know who broke into my house and put a bunch of crap in my closets. Seriously, this can't be all mine. How on earth did I accumulate so much stuff? How many baskets do I need? How long am I required to hold onto gifts that I don't like and will never use? Should I really save all this baby gear? I need another whole room just to hold my junk. This is brought to my attention because I had to clear out one of the closets in the hallway for some remodeling work. I wish the attic crawlspace access was somewhere else, but I had to empty the entire closet, and wow do I have a lot of useless junk. Useless and impossible to part with, for some reason. So I've been clearing space today in other closets. More closets filled with useless junk. Well, some of the stuff was or will be useful, just not at this particular point in my life. Or is that the myth we tell ourselves as an excuse to hold onto it all?

11 comments:

Peeved Michelle said...

Get rid of it. All of it. Don't even look at it. You can schedule a Salvation Army pick-up online.

Summer said...

You said it yourself...crap. Unload the crap on someone else. You don't need it, don't want, hate to have to clean around it. Just get rid of it. Declutter is the only way to go.

Chris said...

Just sell it all on eBay! ;-)

Yankeebob said...

I'm guilty of saving junk for the 'just in case I may need it' idea. Usually I just end up throwing it out anyway. But for the time I had it, I had that possibility covered darn it!

grace said...

goodwill. salvation army. they'll take your crap. just get rid of it. you'll never miss it...

Joanne said...

Ahh, you could be like me and join the 'storage unit' people. I have a vague clue about what's in mine: many empty boxes (you never know when you may want to move again), Christmas crap, a computer from college (I'm astounded to admit that was 9 years ago) and on and on and on. Break free while you still can! You can do it! I am apparently genetically programmed as my parents are scavangers at the community yard sales. And worse, they send that shit to me.

Roy Hobbs said...

Heck at least it's just closets u lost. I lost closets and my whole garage from all of the shiat my wife has. Well except for the 3 square foot section in the garage for my tools and sports stuff.

Munch said...

I like Summers response. Especially considering everyone dumps their crap on me. Then I get the guilt trip of its been in the family for years.

Thank God I dont have an attic anymore. That process is for the birds!!!

Take it to Goodwill.

TerraT said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TerraT said...

I'm with Michelle, just give it all away. Use the two year rule.

Envoy-ette said...

Don Bosco picks up every month in our neighborhood. I can't part with anything. (but I paid so much for it!!!) Our home under construction has a basement...guess I'll put my junk under me. They'll tear my belongings from my cold dead fingers!!!!

Blog Archive

Followers