Thursday, December 16, 2004

But they look so pretty!

I've been having more OCD moments lately. I know that wrapping presents brings it on, I get so god damned anal about wrapping presents. The lines have to line up. The creases have to be sharp. It has to be pulled tight and taped just right. And don't even get me started on ribbons and bows! If I'm using curling ribbon I have to use two colors, one color just doesn't quite do it for me. Just now I got a little too excited about the fact that the stripe on the paper made a perfect square on either end of the package. Yeah....I need help.

The fact that I took a picture to show you doesn't say good things about it either. Do you want to know the best part though? It's the same on both ends of the package. I know, I'm having a hard time containing myself as well. It's just so.....so.....perfect. It makes me a little nervous that I get so happy about things like that. I seem to be getting more and more anal as the years go by. Do you have any idea how many times I have rearranged the ornaments on the tree? (I'm like Ken, editing away!) I have to say though, Caden rearranges too, so in reality I'm fixing what he moves most of the time. We can't have ornaments hanging from the lights now, can we? (Answer: No) When we were decorating the tree I heard the following phrase twice: It's ok, she'll just change it after you leave. *Damn it, they're on to me*
Sometimes I leave things alone on purpose, just to prove to myself I can. I feel like Monica when she left her shoes in the living room overnight.
*Lays in bed, eyes open, thinking about keys. "My keys are labeled 1, 2, and 3. But they're not in order on my key chain. I should change them. I should change them right now.*
But I don't. I make myself leave them alone, just for the sake of control. I can do it! I know I can. I hope so, anyway. Wish me luck.

8 comments:

SJ said...

I've decided I'm afraid of you now... (backs slowly away towards door)...

Yankeebob said...

That is the best wrap job I've ever seen! I'll just ship all my presents out there so you can make them presentable for me. Thanks.

I do some stuff like that. When I see a crooked picture, I have to straighten it out. No matter where I am. I also make sure all the coasters on the tables are perfectly spaced on the corners. I can't stand when they are too far to one side or the other.

grace said...

hahaha... i used to pretty careful.. (not anal-retentive, like you) but i realized that NOBODY cares. they think, aw, how pretty.. and then they rip right into it. nobody takes the time to really look at the nice job you've done.

but i do have to have 2 colors for ribbons. that's a must...

Peeved Michelle said...

That is just like Christmas at my mom's house. My stepdad buys only striped paper just so that he can get everything to line up perfectly. My mom completely rearranges the ornaments after everyone leaves. I am sure she had two days worth of rearranging this year since we had several little kids "helping" with the decorating.

Also, is that really a red bow on a light blue package? THAT doesn't keep you awake at night?

Joanne said...

Wow. Now that Amazon does all my wrapping for me, I'm sure they look all fancy schmancy like that. Otherwise I'm the type that will end up using 2 different types of paper just becuse I ran out of one and want to finish up. I've also been known to use comic strips. I am probably the antithesis of you. (If you're anything like Peeved Michelle because I am definitely the antithesis of her)

cat said...

is that my prezzie you wrapped so pretty? yay! what didja get me? huh? huh? what is it? when should i expect it? will it get it before christmas??

(btw - wicked cool wrapping job! wow! i am impressed!)

Cindy-Lou said...

DJ, I'm highly offended that you think I would put a bow on the side of my package. The present is sitting on it's side! Gah! and I will not be a cat lady. If I am, kill me.
I'm glad there are other's like me out there. Thanks guys, I feel a little better.

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

I think I may be a little late on this one, but if it makes you feel any better, I AM JUST LIKE YOU!! In fact my family calls me "Monica" because I am so anal-retentive.

For me, gift wrapping is an entire event. Every year I have a "theme" and I only buy paper, tissue and ribbon that match the theme. And I can no longer use the curling ribbon. It is way to unreliable for me. So I have moved on to wired ribbon. The bows that you get from wired ribbon are absolutely AMAZING (try it, you'll like it!). And every year, I make everyone take a moment to appreciate the works of art that I have created before they open their gifts and are totally disappointed at the cheap crap I have bought them. Hee!

And don't even get me started on coffe tables, or setting the table, or kitchen cupboards or...nevermind.

Blog Archive

Followers