Saturday, December 11, 2004

Story

I read an article in Parenting magazine today about a girl who is a genius. It was written by her mother, who has cancer. The girl graduated high school at 10 and is now enrolled in college at age 12. It was a pretty interesting article, short enough to hold my interest but well written. At the end the mom wrote about how she's not sure how long she has to live, and the girl said maybe that's why she was born a genius, so that her mom would have a chance to really know her even if she dies young. That really go to me, I was crying by the time I finished it. Goosebumps and all. That is so sad to me, not only the reality of the situation but that a 12 year old girl has the capability to understand exactly what is happening and respond in that manner. It's almost a blessing and a curse, I think. You would want to protect your child from the severity of the situation, but with this girl you wouldn't be able to. She has the mental capacity to absorb the information, but not the emotional maturity to be able to handle it or process it the way an adult would. Not that adults always do it right either. Anyway, I just wanted to post about this because it touched me, and I can't seem to shake it. I hope getting it out here helps.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

When my nephew was 12, his mother (my sister) was diagnosed with cancer. I was taking care of him and his sister while she went to Seattle for a bone marrow transplant. One day I took the kids to see Santa at the pet store (great gimmick get your pets & kid's photos taken with Santa). Damn kid asked Santa for his mom to get better. What do you do with that? He knew at the time there was no such thing as the big man in the red suit but was grasping.

Blog Archive

Followers