Tuesday, December 07, 2004

The stamp on my hand says "Lucky"

I went to a concert last night at the HP Pavilion, AKA "The Shark Tank". Not that there are any Sharks swimming around as of late. Not being a hockey fan myself (sorry Mel) I don't care so much. Anyway, it was Carlos Santana, with Five for Fighting opening up for him. I have never been a huge fan of Santana, but it was free! Cisco Systems was putting it on for the employees, they spent a cool $650K. Free drinks and free food, can you beat that? As if I could say no. Anyway, I am so in love with both of them now. I don't know if it's just the concert high you get after seeing live music, but I absolutely adored them. Five for Fighting was great, the lead singer sang the first song and played guitar, the second song he played the piano, and the third song he played the harmonica. I'm always impressed by the multi-talented musicians. Plus, he was funny, which is always a mark in the win column. Apparently an employee names James had emailed the Five for Fighting guy to dedicate a song to his date, Emily. It was their third date. So he dedicated the song, and made some "third date" references about how Emily had no excuses now. I think James got a little action last night.
Then, after a brief interruption from the CEO of Cisco, Carlos Santana came out. He was so great. I really enjoyed the music. Nobody can rock a guitar like Carlos Santana, with the possible exception of Joe Satriani. He had some little hottie singing for him, I have no idea who he was but I wanted to bring him home with me. David said "I knew you liked that guy because he kind of looks like Rick" Me "What? I don't like Rick!" David "You do when you're in Mexican-mode" I never even knew I had a Mexican-mode! That is so awesome. There is something about that music that calls out to the Latina in me, I swear I have never felt more Mexican in my life! Which is really funny because if you know me, I'm so very white. As if seeing Santana live and being able to make tortillas from scratch constitutes being Hispanic. Note to self: go salsa dancing.
The funniest thing about the night though, was the crowd. I'm sure you have never been to a concert with 20 thousand geeks, have you? Well, I can happily say I have. (Ok, I really have no idea how many people were there, I'm just throwing out 20 thousand) They handed out those little flashlights with the fiber optic things that stick up, and they light up different colors? Those flashlights that are right at home in the hand of my son, but when you see a 50 year old man dancing with one in each hand, it's kind of scary? Yeah, those. I brought it home for Caden. I swear to you I did not wave it around during the concert. I swear.
As we were leaving, my sister said "Tell Santana I said hi!"
and Caden said "Tell Santa I want presents!"
I fucking love that kid.

12 comments:

Roy Hobbs said...

I told you Santana can rock. Only thing better then seeing him live at the Tank is seeing him live at a small downtown bar. Mexican mode. Now that is funny. By the way thx for your autograph on Friday night. I may need it again.

Yankeebob said...

I am seriously jealous! Santana is one of my all time favorite guitarists. And you saw him for free! I'll tell ya, I'd play like a geek for a day to see Santana.

I've never been to a concert with 20 thousand geeks, but I think I'd love it. Imagine the people stories I'd get for the blog. Too Cool.

Is Five for Fighting a local band? I don't know who that is.

I understand what you mean about the multi-talented musicians. Some musicians are so talented it makes me not want to try playing ever again after I see them. I feel unworthy.

Quyen said...

Sure you didn't wave them around... sure ya didn't... ;)

Peeved Michelle said...

You are so my Latina soul sister. That is the exact amount of Mexican that I am. I can make tortillas from scratch, I have some Santana on my iPod, and I can also say "albondigas" with a perfect Spanish accent. (Shamefully, I also have the Spanish version of Christina Aguilera's "Come On Over" on my iPod.)

cat said...

Isn't Five for Fighting the guy that does the really sad superman song?

"I can't stand to fly..."boo hoo hoo hoo.

I love that song. Heh.

Glad to see you haven't drowned. :)

SJ said...

Carlos Santa - think of the stage set!

Lou Lou said...

santana?
wow
was that guy rob? the one that sung smooth? hes so hot!

grace said...

wow. cisco knows how to keep their employees happy...

my company doesn't do shit.

MomMega: mothersmilkblog.com said...

Caden rocks!

Also, I understand about the Mexican-mode. I too can say "albondigas" just right. I pull it out when I need to impress my "white" friends.

Cindy-Lou said...

YB, if everyone had that attitude we'd never get new music! You gotta believe...
I love the phrase "exact amount of Mexican", that sounds so funny. I can't say albondigas, but I can rattle off several insults in a row, and it sounds pretty good.
Cisco actually doesn't know how to keep them happy, they work them to death then throw out something like this to "keep morale up". It was a 20 year anniversary.
My sister's a geek.

grace said...

oh, well screw cisco, then.

K.D. said...

CL, I am so jealous! It sounds like you have so many cool concerts to go to. I love live music but I always have to travel to see the good stuff... glad to hear you had a good time.

Blog Archive

Followers