Sunday, December 12, 2004

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

I don't like SpongeBob Squarepants. I just don't like him. Which is why it was a little disconcerting today when I was laughing every two minutes while watching the show. I think I may have to adjust my view of SpongeBob. The show's premise was SpongeBob trying to catch a bus back to Bikini Bottom. I don't know if any of you have seen this episode, but it was hilarious. The bus would come every time he stepped away from the bus stop. And I would laugh every time it did. Maybe this cold I have is making my brain fuzzy, but I really thought it was a funny episode. The only other time SpongeBob has made me laugh was when he was catching jellyfish with a net, and he said to one of them "You're my twelfth catch today. I'll call you Twelvy". That cracked me up for some reason. Still does apparently, as I am laughing while writing this! So, the moral of this story is SpongeBob may actually be funny. I will give him another shot anyway. Also, Dave Barry's column today is really good. How can you not love a newspaper article that begins with "I thought that, in today's column, I would heal the nation"? It's all about the controversy between the red states and the blue states. For your reading pleasure:
Do we truly believe that all red-state residents are ignorant racist fascist knuckle-dragging NASCAR-obsessed cousin-marrying roadkill-eating tobacco-juice-dribbling gun-fondling religious fanatic rednecks; or that all blue-state residents are godless unpatriotic pierced-nose Volvo-driving France-loving left-wing communist latte-sucking tofu-chomping holistic-wacko neurotic vegan weenie perverts? Yes. This is called "diversity", and it is why we are such a great nation-a nation that has given the world both nuclear weapons and SpongeBob Squarepants.
So there you have it. SpongeBob is funny, Dave Barry is funny, and Dave Barry mentions SpongeBob in his column today. Coincidence?

11 comments:

Kitten said...

Spongebob is a suprisingly funny show. I used to glower at it, and now I own 3 SB DVD's. There are sutble adult jokes hidden in the childish silliness. Definatly worth watching.

SJ said...

"France loving"...?

cat said...

spongebob scares me. the animation is creepy and disgusting. i have never watched a show and i am glad i do not have a child (or boyfriend) who is obsessed with it.

however... in the trailer for the spongebob movie, when sb and that pick penis-thing-sidekick run into david hasslehoff i can't help laughing my ass off at this:

sb: who are you?
dh: i'm david hasslehoff! (superhero-type pose)
sb & pt: HOORAY!!

heh. it's funnier on tv. and what the hell IS that pink thing anyhow??

Cindy-Lou said...

I don't think a cheese-eating surrender monkey would do well at the monkey battles.
Cat, he's a starfish, not a penis thing! Hahahaha....

Peeved Michelle said...

SpongeBob IS funny. I love that bus episode. Another of my favorites is when Patrick's parents come to visit.

Cindy-Lou said...

Once I made out with a Jedi.

cat said...

hmm, i never liked ren & stimpy either. same reason it was disgustiung and the animation scares me.

what about care bears? i liked care bears... :)

cl - are you SURE? he sure looks like a penis thing..

TerraT said...

Sponge Bob is Hilarious! I have to admit that I use my 8 year old sister as an excuse to watch him, oh and Hey Arnold,... and Dexter, and recently as a free pass to go see The Incredibles. Kids are great!

This is my first post here CL, but I have to say thanks so much! I don't bother searching blogs anymore, now I just jump through your link list! =)

Joanne said...

I have to say I love me some SpongeBob, however not all the SpongeBob. One of my favorites is when Squidward goes and lives in a colony of all Squidwards and he gets all frustrated because everything is just the way he would like it, but apparently there is too much of a good thing. I do like the bus one too, because sometimes that is sooo my life. :)

Anonymous said...

i only like spongebob when i'm stoned. it's true. i can't deal with him otherwise. i do appreciate that he works food service, though.

grace said...

the spongebob video game is pretty fun... i never watched it before, and still the game was cracking me up....

Blog Archive

Followers